Thursday 7 March 2013

Hungry or greedy?

I'm sitting in a cafe in Highgate and a child wandered up to me, face covered in chocolate.

She loitered by my table a while, so I eventually turned and smiled at her. She asked me, in a very quiet voice, if she could have more crisps. Startled, and mildly amused, I told her that she needed to ask her mummy and if her mummy said yes, she could one.

"Please..." she repeated.

I repeated my suggestion and, with a longing backward glance, she trotted off.

She returned after a lengthy conversation, with a small smile on her face, and asked again if she could have more crisps.

I asked what her mummy had said.

"No," she replied.

With a mixture of regret and relief, I said I couldn't go against her mummy's wishes and if she'd said no, then I couldn't give her any crisps.

I feel a bit bad, but she'd obviously already eaten ice cream and crisps and if that had been my child, I'd have said no too. I also feel a bit uncomfortable about her asking me in the first place, yet I can't, for the life of me, work out why. Maybe it's something to do with boundaries or expectations...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.