Saturday 23 November 2013

The joy of earplugs

I wore two earplugs last night and I feel like I've just returned from a spa.

I didn't feel able to wear any at first, wanting to learn his habits and trust in his abilities to not choke on vomit and to keep breathing all night. Then I tried one earplug, just to dampen the sound of his nocturnal groanings a touch. Two is blissful in comparison.

I slept so much more, not waking for minor fusses, letting him fall asleep again with no intervention. I woke only for hunger sounds. Though he did wake me screaming once and was still fast asleep. He quietened again, but this kept happening, so I lifted him out of his basket, and his eyes sprang open like one of those dolls, and he was ravenously hungry.

He continues to amuse, astonish and entertain me, especially the hour he decided he wanted to play in the middle of the night and treated me to a stream of giggles and gurgles. Who could not delight in such innocent joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.