Saturday 18 February 2017

One year ago

One year ago exactly, I was still in labour. In a few hours, we would be moving to an emergency c-section. I still remember the moment she was pulled out and I saw her little face and I thought, "Oh, another one!" By her second day, she'd started to take on the more delicate pointy features that distinguish her from her brother.

I remember those first few days in hospital, the heat of the ward, my naked nappied baby lying on my chest 24/7, sleeping, feeding, the multiple migraines on the third day heralding the arrival of my milk, the yummy hospital meals, especially the apple cake and soya custard, ooh and the custard creams - a healthy snack for a new mother!

I remember my son's shyness, confusion and very mild fear as he visited us, climbing carefully onto the bed with us for a snuggle. The contrast, now, to his rough, loving play with her.

I love how they are together: both running around the sofa at top speed before bedtime, both strong, wilful, independent, tough, laughing, playing, pushing, hugging, grabbing, funny, fun loving, loving. "They're both rather active..." says my tired mama!

My little girl, a year old in just a few hours, such a little person, yet such a strong character - knows her mind, bright, perceptive, socially aware, shouty, desperate to be a verbal part of our world already, funny, very very loving, affectionate. Happy birthday my beautiful baby. I'm so glad you joined our little family. 😍 😘

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.