Sunday 27 June 2010

Seconds?

I absorbed culture today. We ambled around the old town or the upper town, whichever you prefer to call it. We met at 9am at Jelacic Plac, or Trg Bana Jelacica, as we are supposed to call it, and we were led around while being given a very interesting historical tour by a Croatian guy called Danijel. The problem was, it was early and I'd only had half a cup of tea. I tried really hard to pay attention, but my eyes kept seeing random things and I before I knew it, I'd wandered away and was poking at a bit of wall or peering into a little hole. People kept thinking they'd lost me or I'd escaped. I got some lovely photos but I don't remember a huge amount about the history. Shame on me, I know, but I enjoyed it much more than I would have otherwise.

As we walked past Zrinjevac park, I realised that it was going to go on for ages (though certainly no later than 4pm because Danijel wanted to watch the football) and I excused myself at 1pm to go for a yummy Croatian lunch (followed by homemade cherry strudel) cooked by my beautiful aunt.

For some reason I am shattered today, but my speech and comprehension is improving already, I am sure, and we've not even started the course yet. I chatted to my cousin's son, who played with my camera, taking very well framed photos and making creative videos. I was honoured with a ketchupy cheese burger kiss as he headed upstairs for his bath. He was good Croatian practice and very forgiving with my mistakes. I then watched a ridiculous comedy drama thing on TV at my aunt's and ate (more) homemade cherry strudel - ridiculous, but I understood it all. My brain seems to be reconnecting to something that it must know from somewhere, because half of all this I did not know a few days ago and I find myself using words from the Istrian dialect before I realise that they are not quite right. Maybe my 13-year old Croatian is coming back to me from somewhere - I had no idea that it's been in storage all this time. My brain is tired though, it's hard work doing all that unpacking and resorting.

I also need either my sister or my boyfriend to make my aunt happy and eat more of the food she offers - I am sure I disappoint her terribly, or at least confuse her, as to why I don't want seconds. I don't often have seconds. My belly is designed for grazing.

"Do you want another piece?"

"No thank you."

2 minutes later
"Do you want another piece? Have one, here."
"No thank you."

2 minutes later
"Have another piece."
"I don't want one."
"Why not?"

"I'm full."
"You're full?" cue confused look.

2 minutes later
"Have another piece."
"Honestly, I don't want one."
"Are you sure?" same confused look
"Yes, thank you."

2 minutes later
"Why don't you take one for later then. You might be hungry again soon."

Not wanting seconds is a concept not understood very well here, it would seem. My lovelies, you know who you are: your ability to eat seconds is much needed here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.