Tuesday 17 September 2013

Hip pain in pregnancy

I have finally got a referral to a physio for hip pain, though I've apparently left it too late to see a chiropractor or osteopath, who won't work with women in their first trimester or the last month of pregnancy.

If you have hip pain in pregnancy, don't leave it too late like I have. I'm slightly annoyed at myself for listening to the midwives tell me that it's an "unavoidable part of pregnancy", because I've now found out that it's not! You can do lots of things to get it fixed or at least ease it considerably, and the doctor immediately referred me to the physio, as soon as I mentioned how much pain I've been in. Why didn't I just go to the doctor in the first place?

I was also told to stop cycling or walking up stairs (the stair thing being rather impossible as our house is over two floors). Incidentally, stopping cycling hasn't helped at all. It's actually got worse since I stopped, though whether this is due to decreased movement (being still for long periods of time makes it worse) or because I am further on in pregnancy, I have no idea.

Anyway, my point is, the pain is not (as I was told) utterly unavoidable. I wish I'd done something earlier. Ah well, at least I know for next time (if there is a next time).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.