Sunday 31 January 2016

Love

I like this excerpt about three stages in a relationship. It resonates with how my toddler is, sometimes wanting to be close, so close I literally cannot get anything done, other times asking me to go away, and I try to respect each stage.

It also reminds me of a poem we chose for our wedding, about how love is like waves lapping against an island. There is always change, sometimes we come close, other times we move further away. Resisting this, is not helpful. Respecting this, creates trust and strengthens the bond.

I find it helpful to focus on the impermanence and transience of life, in order to understand the permanent elements that can be relied upon. In an odd way, transience has always given me security.

Excerpt from The Art of Happiness, by the Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.