Friday 19 February 2010

Catwoman in a cardi


So what have I been up to recently? Haha!

Yesterday we ambled aimlessly. It's nice to amble aimlessly. And good when it is so roasting as it is. It's about 35 Celsius in the day and about 25 at night. Nevertheless last night I slept with leggings, long sleeved top and woolly hat on. At 5am I awoke to my sister's text (she never remembers my timezones) and I was freezing, so I donned a big woolly cardi too. Thank goodness for preparation!

When Kathy went off to work in the evening, I headed to a Chi Kung class and I was the only student. It was wonderful. I have never had a one-to-one session before (or a female teacher). It was intense, but the energy was peaceful, gentle and happy. The session was on the top floor of a wooden hut - open air with a fan blowing gently to cool us a little as we worked.

In the evening we went to a jazz bar and sat on a balcony that would not have passed H&S standards in the UK but which was delightful. Relatively early evening for us, so Kathy took me on some test drives (with me as motorbike passenger) to get me a bit braver. I am such a baby! Honestly, you have entire families on these machines here (I kid you not!) and sometimes a dog, or a piece of recently purchased furniture too. I saw one woman sitting side-saddles, texting, while being a passenger. How do they not fall off?? I don't understand!!

Anyway, this was in preparation for today, when I was so nervous I ate only part of my bacon soya pancake (I know) with maple syrup for breakfast. We headed off to a hill top temple which was such a wonderful ride, but slightly delayed by the arrival of a princess and a slow moving Mazda truck thing. I only gripped hold a few times and tried to turn screams into giggles. It worked well. Turn fear to excitement (with caution) and I think that is the way to go. So this hour long ride (in total) with Kathy was my first lesson in submission. I'm not very good at handing over control and I know I need to learn. In life balance is essential and sometimes submission as as important as control/dominance. Balance.

My second lesson in submission was having a Thai massage. Most of my bones cracked. At one point - goodness only knows how, because I have no idea - I was suddenly lying on my back, with the masseuse underneath me, her legs in lotus position supporting my lower back. I remain so confused as to how she did this. Nothing hurt, but all my bones cracked back into where they were clearly meant to be and my limbs feel longer than they ever have done before.

So I came from the massage (which cost less than £4 for over an hour) to this cafe (and on the way watched an old man use his keys as a cotton bud to clean his ears). They have free wifi here. Hurrah! And they let you charge things, so my mobile and iPod are charged and my laptop is being charged as we speak - I have no socket in my guesthouse. In order to stay here I have ordered two cups of tea, a banana and chocolate muffin and a vegan apple strudel and I am shortly going for dinner with Kathy. Bleugh. I feel sick! Well, I need to make up for my lack of food in Bangkok I guess. :-)

So.The plan for the next few days.

Saturday Kathy works all day so I have booked to do a tour which will involve elephant riding, visiting a hill tribe, bamboo rafting, swimming near a waterfall and a small trek. In the evening we have to go toy shopping because on Sunday....

....we go for a toy ride!! We're meeting early in the morning on our motorbikes (me being passenger, I am not ready to be in control!). We then go to an orphanage to give the kids the toys, play with them a while, get fed dinner and make a donation to the orphanage. I can't wait! I'm really looking forward to this.

Sunday evening we head out of contact to a floating cottage where we will hopefully stay two nights and a couple of days. No electricity, no running water. Nothing. All we will have to do is read, write, swim, meditate, sleep and eat. This sounds like heaven to me. :-)

I have properly got into the holiday mode now and am very happy. Kathy is a great host, taking good care of me, which makes things so easy and I am grateful. I am thinking of everyone back home and it has been good to speak with some people.

As always, keep smiling folks. Life is beautiful. xx

PS See me in my catwoman helmet and really I am so uncool...

2 comments:

  1. Don't blame sis - Turn your phone off at night! Phones are people too - they also need their sleep! GF3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My phone snoozes and what if there's an emergency? More to the point, what if I wake up and don't know what time it is?? Loo breaks are carefully timed. If it is less than an hour to wake time I usually wait for the loo otherwise it wakes me up. If it is more than an hour, I go to the loo because it is enough time to fall asleep again. Don't you know anything about loo breaks GF3?? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to see your thoughts.