Sunday 23 May 2010

I love you

Sitting here on the 25th floor. I look outside and see the bright lights sparkling like diamonds in a man-made jungle. It remains, to me, breathtakingly beautiful. Hong Kong stole a part of my heart the first time I took the train from the airport to Central over 18 months ago, watching the blood red sun set through the building works and the bamboo scaffolding. This time, the fourth time I have been here, Hong Kong has now permanently been awarded residence in whatever it is that makes up my soul.

Three months has passed so quickly. Every moment has been precious to me. There have been some difficult times for me here and there have been magical, happy, wonderful moments too. I have laughed, cried and loved.

I have met people here who have planted themselves in my heart and taken root. Each of these beautiful people has taken a tiny space that they have made their own with their warmth, kindness and love towards me since I arrived. I feel so lucky and so honoured to have been given so many gifts in such a short space of time - I wonder what I have done to deserve such quantities of love in my life.

I know I sound soppy, but I leave tomorrow. This is my last night and I am sad. My heart is crying a little and it has been a long time since I have felt this sad at the thought of leaving somewhere - perhaps not since I was a child leaving Croatia at the end of summer, when one year was eternity.

It has been an emotional last day for me. It started with a traumatic episode on the beach where I modelled men's football boxer shorts on a beach with some other guys - I'm really not cut out in any way, shape or form to undertake such a challenge - better behind a camera I think! Then I swam in the sea, aware it would be my last swim in Hong Kong waters for a long while. I like to think I'll miss the floating dead fish, but I won't. May they rest in peace, bobbing gently on the water for all eternity. We ate french fries and drank margaritas. We came home for a civilised dinner party of way too much food and wine. Then my delightful housemate brought out his box of toys - yes, he had a pump and balloons - we made ridiculous items - dogs, octupuses (octopi?), flowers, hats, hand-cuffs, shackles, jewellery, mobile phones - whatever you can think of. Clearly, after the children went, these items became a bit more 'creative'. It was a good ending of laughter.

So tomorrow is the day I leave and I wanted to say thank you to those of you that made my time here so special. Thank you for your love and your friendship. I hope I see you again. With love. XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.