Tuesday 4 May 2010

My first tram

I went on a tram yesterday.

I got a bit confused and sat on it too long, granted, and had to walk a long way back, but it was great. Tall, double-decker, long, thin wooden contraptions, with stairs to get on at the back and stairs to get off at the front. Woe betide if you get on or off the wrong way! Windows on both sides slide down fully, like those in car doors, when you need some wonderful fresh polluted air from the roadside.

My joint favourite way to travel, along with the ferries. And I'm pretty sure it was less than 20p!

I am still enjoying being here, wonderfully so, but I am aware that it is ending soon. I am starting to look at things in a different light. Kind of saying goodbye now, I guess. I have started breathing in the view again, every night, sitting outside in the evening watching the sun go down and trying to memorise the kaleidoscope of coloured lights that make up Hong Kong at night. I've got a gazillion and one photos of that view and perhaps I'll make a canvas of it, but I don't imagine it will be the same as seeing it in front of me.

I am sitting inside, typing. I can hear the clock tick-tocking and Mr Gecko or Mrs Gecko - his-her gender changes daily in my mind - is clicking away somewhere. I think she went outside last night. There was gecko-poo on the floor and her call is quieter than usual. Goodness, maybe she's stuck outside. I wonder if I should leave the door open to let her in. I don't like the thought of her being locked out all night.

Time for bed. That's it. I'm tired.

And. I just realised that she is always a she and her name is Mr Gecko. Mr Gecko is a she. Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.