Tuesday 31 August 2010

Cats with special needs

I've never been a cat lover, but my friend needed a cat-sitter and I have no home. I've met Pan before too. That's not 'pan' as in the cooking implement, and neither is it 'pan' as in Spanish for 'bread' - it's the Pan of Greek mythology: the god of shepherds and flocks, of mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music, as well as the companion of the nymphs. I've always wanted to be a tree nymph so it seems fairly apt, really.

Pan, apparantly, has Asperger's and special needs. He is a bit special, but lovely. My friend also warned me about the little black and white ADHD cat that comes in - honestly this one ran in, ran around as if she was on speed, charged at Pan's food and started munching. Three times she did this. Each time I literally had to tear Pan's food away from her and give her the cheap cat food from the pantry, as instructed. I've not yet met the squirrel that I can also feed. This is not cat-sitting, this is catsquirrel-sitting.

My first night as a cat-sitter? I slept terribly. I was instructed to keep Pan in overnight as the foxes have been known to attack cats in the park opposite. Anyway, around 3am I was so hot, I had to open the window and the second it opened, Pan had squirmed out. He eventually trotted home, probably just excited by the novelty of being let out in the middle of the night. I was awoken twice by the feeling of a hundred feet on my body as Pan decided the spot where I was sleeping was the best spot to jump onto the bed. This morning he seemed fairly cheery to see me awake, and is now curled up on a cushion next to where I am sitting. He's quite sweet really. And you know what? Cat biscuits smell delicious - I really am peckish now and must get some breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.