Monday 6 December 2010

2010 in Zen

I am very aware that the year is drawing to a close. We have almost completed the first decade of this new century. I started the year by creating this - my blog: 2010 is Zen and so I start by asking myself if the title was true - was 2010 Zen for me? It was kind of a joke name, but in all honestly this year has been amazing.

I had a holiday in Thailand which prompted me to start my book - a book which is now part way through its second draft. A holiday with my beautiful friend Kathy, our adventures and chats, my meditations in the Buddhist temples. It was utterly delicious, despite my slightly unfriendly introduction to Bangkok. My memories are like a slide show of beautiful photos, enveloped in warmth, freedom and safety. Except the motorbike riding - that didn't feel so safe at the start and only felt moderately safe at the end! Thanks to Voluptua, the lovely bike and her owner Kathy for taking me on some fun rides and turning me from a total scaredy cat, to just a moderate one.

Then I found myself in Hong Kong for three months. I meditated, healed and practiced yoga regularly, I made friends there, some of whom I shall never forget because of their kindness, genuineness and acceptance. I was surrounded by sea and mountains, as well as an amazing city life - a drab grey city by day, that at night came to magical life, a world of diamonds made from sparkling fairy lights, of chance encounters and randomness. After half a year of no drinking, I indulged in the odd cocktail or two in rooftop bars with fantastic views and, rare for me, not feeling in the slightly bit chilly. This period also set me on my current path, to continue my counselling training, which is what I am currently immersed in, perhaps almost drowning in.

Then it was Croatia, my homeland, my heartland. Finding more about who I am, reconnecting with my Croatian heart - that was a special experience, shared with some special people who I'll probably never see again, but that's okay. If we're meant to meet up again, we will, and if not, well we had a great time. It was also very much a family time for me - my Mama and aunt, my cousins. Daily life in the heart of a city, surrounded by a beautiful - if frustratingly difficult - language, with family all around me. I feel so lucky to be part of my family - we might be difficult from time to time and we might be honest to the point of pain occasionally, but we're honest and we love deeply.

I wrote in my diary what I wanted to have achieved by the end of the 2010. The things I have achieved from this list include making a decision about my training, moving out of London, practicing more meditation and healing and writing a book and getting feedback on it. I wanted to publish my book by the end of this year, but some things take time and there was stuff I needed to learn before I got to this point. Perhaps I have also learned a little more realism and patience. Never thought I'd say that!

So, the next steps? Right now, get rid of this vile cold and endless snot. I'm taking herbal tinctures and infusions, mixed by my lovely sister who tries to make me believe they will taste nice with the addition of a little honey. I have to confess, though don't tell her, that I am convinced of their effectiveness if not their taste - the vile tasting concoction she gave me last night helped me breathe easy and sleep peacefully. For the first time in days I didn't need to sleep with tissues stuffed up my nostrils to stem the snotty flow. I am now able to look slightly more sexy as I sleep - always important to know that if you're going to be disturbed at night - for example by an intruder - that you can still look your best.

Next year who knows? There are things I know I will do and things I would love to do, but we shall see. One thing for sure is that I know I need to change the title of this blog.

I'll be in touch again before Christmas. I want to wish you a happy one, but this is far too early for me do so without irritating myself. Tell you what, I'll say instead, have a good week!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.