Sunday 3 April 2011

Culinary goddess

That's me!

I decided to take a day off to do nothing work-related, so (in among a bit of trashy TV, college work, doing some washing and cleaning the house) I decided to experiment in the kitchen.

Breakfast was toasted rye bread with fried eggs and grilled baby tomatoes.

Number two, coming in as a late lunch, was a Thai-style hot and sour coconut milk and mushroom soup. Absolutely delicious. Flavours of chili, lemon, lime, coconut milk, ginger and mushroom, with lemon rice and carrots added at the end (an accompaniment to yesterday's dinner) to give substance. On the side we had potato cakes to dip into the soup (not homemade sadly).

Our late afternoon treat was a little plate of dairy-free fairy cakes with a dark chocolate, golden syrup and almond flake topping. They sound nicer than they tasted. Don't get me wrong; they are very tasty little cakes, but nothing special. What is special about them, however, is that they were very tasty and dairy free and my first attempt at making fairy cakes alone. Well, alone excepting the muscle-power of mixing that my beloved provided - reminds me of when we plastered the lounge, except I was the one doing the mixing that time and the fairy cakes are much nicer on the skin than plaster powder.

For dinner we shall be having the remainder of the soup and probably the rest of the fairy cakes. I expect this will be as two courses, not one.

I am now going to partake of my third fairy cake with a nice cup of tea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.