Tuesday 25 October 2011

From prison to haven

I covered the lower portion of our windows with opaque privacy sheets today. It looks fine, but it feels a little like I am hidden away, like Rapunzel in her tower. I can't see out without standing, but also no-one else can see in, which is, I guess, the whole point.

I am sitting at home, working (except for the few minutes it takes to write this), and it is dark outside now. My blinds are closed, but behind them my window is slightly open and I can hear the rain falling outside. A moment ago thunder cracked above me and the fog of my mind lifted slightly.

The deliciousness of being indoors, working late, cosy and warm, while the rain falls in torrents outside and the thunder cracks overhead, has changed my perception of my Rapunzel tower. It's funny how the day and the night cast such different lights on so many events. Now I am happy for my opaque privacy sheets, knowing that I am safe and that no-one outside can see me without me knowing of their existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.