Friday 9 November 2012

Shame

Just watched a very interesting TED talk on shame that, at times, made me want to cry. The truth often makes me want to cry, especially if it's a truth that resonates or one that is not often acknowledged.

One part especially touched me. It was a section on how if a woman can sit with a man and be with him in his shame, without judging, just sitting with him on his journey, she is doing something amazing. This touched me because of men I have worked with as a counsellor and who I know in my heart my acceptance of them in their entirety and my honesty about the space between us as I perceived it, healed something in them. It touched me because I could see that so many women in their lives misjudge them or don't allow them to be who they are and shame continues this game.

I don't claim to be perfect - in part the story brought tears to my eyes because it made me realise how imperfect I am and how difficult I can be with my own man, but all I can do is to keep trying my best, apologising when I've done something I feel is wrong and forgiving myself each time I screw up.

Brené Brown talks on shame here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.