Thursday 8 November 2012

Remembering how to love someone

Just came across something I wrote about five years ago and for some reason it makes me stop and think.

"If I love you truly, it’s because I can see your essence. I see a glimpse of something deeply beautiful inside you, like a shining light that shows me who you were as a child. It lights up all the dark corners of your being, showing me your faults and flaws and everything that makes you human. It shines through your skin, so that you too become deeply beautiful. No matter how ugly you might think you are on the outside, to me you are beautiful. Once I have seen that raw core (and as long as you keep letting me see it), once I have touched that part of you with my eyes and therefore with my heart (and as long as you keep that part of you open to me), I will always love you. Is this what they call the soul? Is this what I see inside you? Is this what makes you ‘you’? This light I see shining out of you, is this you? This light I see shining out of you, do I have one of those too? Is it my inner light that makes me who I am? I see something inside you that defines who you are to me. Do I have that something too? Do I have something inside of me, like a light, that shines out of me and that defines who I am?"

Important, maybe, to never lose sight of that thing you once saw in someone that made you say "I love you", otherwise you might forget how to love them.

2 comments:

  1. Oh WOW love this Ninkie, this has inspired me!! Gonna have to write a piece. Blown me away!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks Otis. I only just came across this comment - must check more often. Bad me. It touches me that I've inspired you. Thank you for letting me know. :-) Did you write something in the end...? xxx

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to see your thoughts.