Tuesday 24 June 2014

Baby brain

This post has been brewing a while and as my son sleeps a mega sleep upstairs, I find I can't snooze too, because I have these words running around my mind.

I don't believe in baby brain. There, I've said it. My feminist side says that it was a concept created by men who didn't want women with babies returning to the workforce. Why? Well now, there's the question and I don't have a definitive answer to that.

Women with children can be scary and not afraid of speaking their minds. For many, their priorities have changed and they no longer care as much about things that don't matter - things that are not of life and death i.e. work. These attitudes can be threatening. Dismissing them as 'baby brain' trivialises them and means they don't need to be taken seriously or dealt with. Everyone else can trot along in the old way of focusing on things that really don't matter in the big scheme of things, and avoid facing the deeper issues of meaning and existence...or simply, avoid facing the fact that their lives are not quite what they wish them to be.

Of course, I'm not talking about everyone...just a select few that I have had the misfortune to come across in my life.

My brain is not as effective as it was, it is true, but I firmly believe that this is down to sleep deprivation. On days when I feel rested, my brain functions perfectly effectively, as good as before, if not better, with my new filter that is better at ignoring the stuff that really doesn't matter.

Anyway, the debate opens and thoughts are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.