Sunday 24 December 2017

Xmas excitement

* After much thoughtful silence while we're lying in bed waiting for the boy to sleep. *
Four year old son: Mama, what if Santa comes through the front door?
Me: well he has a special key and he'll lock it afterwards.
Son: no, I mean, he might not find his snacks. Can you write a note for the front door please?
Me: ok. I'll do that.
* Silence while I half doze. Open my eyes to find him staring at my face. *
Son: this is my excited face, mama!
Me: [smile and a kiss] I know sweetheart.
* More thoughtful silence. *
Son: mama, I don't think Santa has a sleigh.
Me: ok, what does he have?
Son: he has a motorbike. That man with the Santa hat on the motorbike was actually Santa...and the reindeer magic makes it fly.
* More silence. *
Son: but the motorbike is electric otherwise it would be too noisy.
Me: ah yes maybe, time to sleep now...!
* Silence. *
Son: mama? Does Santa ho ho ho in every house?
Me: only if he really likes the snack, and then he says "ho, ho, ho, lovely mince pies!"
Son: but he must say it quietly. [Whispers ho ho ho]
Me: shall we put on your birdsong music to help you sleep?
Son: yes, that's a good idea. I'm too excited. That will help me sleep!
* Asleep within about two minutes. *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.