Thursday 14 October 2010

96 seems to be the going rate

I heard today than an old friend of the family died on Monday. Doris Beaver was 96, the same age as my Great Aunt Ailsa was when she died in January. It seems 96 is the going rate then. Well, at least 96 - I hope to make it past that.

My Dad told me that she'd had a stroke a couple of decades ago and lived independently since then, up until two years ago that is. He told me she was never cantankerous. When I think of her I feel warm and safe - I remember her being a kind, amusing and generous soul. I remember photos in her living room and patio doors...at least I think I do. I remember a garden with trees. I remember she lived in Croydon, or thereabouts. We used to pop in on the way to or from Croatia, when we were small. I remember it always being sunny, but the summers of my childhood were all sunny and hot, in my memory that is.

This blog post is in her memory and is to express gratitude and thanks for the wonderful person that she was. My challenge is to be as non-cantankerous as she was. There really is no need. So kindness and gentleness all round, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.