Monday 7 November 2011

Synaesthesia

I studied this at uni briefly, but one of my brothers recently sent me a link to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia

One of the sentences really struck me: "In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a (three-dimensional) view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise)."

If it says what it means, then I think I get that, but I thought that it was a normal way to view time - primarily I'm thinking months, years and decades which I see in my mind's eye as always being associated with set blocks within larger blocks, and interspersed with pictures and images, like photos, relative to that time timeframe - and they stretch away from me, becoming harder to see clearly as I look back, unless I 'travel' back in time in my mind's eye and land on a place from my past, then I see more clearly. I get it with days too, they appear truncated visually, with lines and boundaries between distinct portions of time.

I had another odd number thing when I small - when I was asked a maths problem, I created or had this man spontaneously appear in my head. He lived in a little cobwebby room with a bed and a wardrobe, and he would hold up a sign that showed the maths problem and the solution too. This no longer happens, but I do often see things visually in my mind's eye when people talk or when I think about things in a meditative manner.

I also see visual images in response to people's thoughts or feelings, especially when I am counselling clients. I am only now learning what to do with them e.g. one client appeared for a split second as a grotesque goblin and it emerged a few sessions later that she saw herself as ugly. It used to freak me out a little, but I decided that it was just a different way of seeing and processing information, that actually provides me with greater clarity and insight than otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. Cool. I have the type of synethesia where numbers have colour and even gender. Actually words have colour for me as well.

    My Dad used to make jokes about for example, "this this is green with a blue smell." I think he had it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. The human mind/body is amazing, huh? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to see your thoughts.