Saturday 19 July 2014

Sleepy time

Last few nights the boy has taken to standing up and charging around the bed after his bedtime feed - rather than sleepily dozing in my lap and allowing me to transfer him to the bed, where he curls over onto his left, then onto his tummy, rubs his nose in the sheet, rubs his feet in the sheet, cuddles his bunny and falls properly asleep.

The main problem with this charging around has been that he's been trying to get his little fingers into an un-earthed socket, so I've been having to pick him up and lay him down - or trying to put him to play in his cot (which he totally disowns as his, preferring my bed). This has caused crying, screaming, stropping and general signs of displeasure.

Today I finally got round to putting sticky tape over the sockets and rearranging the bedroom so that the bed area is safe (apart from some sharp rusty nails sticking out of the headboard, which conveniently broke yesterday, but that's a job for another day and the nails are currently covered with my pillow, which for some (happy) reason is unappealing game for the boy).

Anyway, when he did his usual standing up and crawling around routine this evening, although it lasted a long time, I remained peaceful and pretended to be asleep. He smacked my cheeks and my tummy and my bum in the hope of 'rousing' me, but to no avail, though I was able to cuddle him and gently stroke him in my 'sleep', and slowly slowly he started making his pre-sleep grunting sound and his movements became slower and slower until finally he flopped on his belly next to my left shin. I chucked over his bunny and, cuddling my foot, he fell asleep chewing his bunny's face off. I successfully moved him up near where my head shall be when I go to bed (which is in about six minutes), so that I don't inadvertently kick him in the head while we sleep.

Well done my little one for falling asleep on your own! There is hope then, without ever having to resort to sleep training or any other system that I don't believe in. My little one will learn when he is ready.

And hopefully we'll sleep more peacefully tonight than last night and the bed will be sufficient for him (rather than on my tummy or chest or in my armpit).

Night night all from a happy ninki-mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.