Saturday 10 July 2010

Fairies and forks #2

Well so it gets even more complex, this language, in relation to fairies, it seems... Got this email from my Mama.

I shall start at the beginning!
  • Vila = fairy
  • Vile = fairies
  • Mala vila = little fairy (if there be such a thing) 
    • there has never been given in my folklore the size of vila/fairy, but the men dream of a fairy as a very desirable woman (in folklore) 
  • Vila = villa (that is a beautiful building)
  • Vilica = jowl (as in of the jaw = Ĩeljust) 
  • Vilica = fork (to eat with)
  • Vile = implement for turning hay over during haymaking (in that case a wooden implement, usually has three prongs) or cleaning cowsheds and replacing old straw (usually iron with four prongs)
    • there is only a plural form in this meaning of the word.
That is all I can think of at the moment, I challenge you to find more meanings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.