Monday 12 July 2010

The letter J and mealtime

I want to write to you of the letter 'J'. This is rather a random one. I don't often use this letter, except when I write my sister's name as it doesn't really occur very often in English. However here it seems to be in every other word. I have noticed that my style of writing this letter has changed over the last few weeks. From a rather insignificant, feeble and weak little letter 'j' with not much substance, my letter 'j' has now been transformed into a full-bodied confident letter, with a deep sweeping curve, strong and healthy, fully on a par and able to compete with other letters. This I was contemplating in the shower this morning. I much prefer my new letter 'j'. Its style also seems to be sweeping into my letters 'g' and 'y' too. Most pleasing.

The other issue is meal times. I am venting, so I don't keep annoying my mother with my frustration with this language. Croatian for meal is obrok. I thought then that saying "I eat five meals a day" would utilise the normal plural and make it into obroci, but it turns out I must use a different case and make it into obroka instead. So many versions of one word. It would appear that I do not "eat five meals a day", but instead "eat five of meals a day", the non-English use of of making it GENITIV case. Oh when will this language seem logical to me?? Is my experience of Croatian how men experience woman worldwide, I ask myself? Is this just a lesson I must learn in order to understand how hard life is for the men in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.