Thursday 12 May 2011

Too lazy to click on links

I came across a fascinating article (courtesy of a good friend in Hong Kong) about the internet and how it will start to be used not for information seeking or publicising, but for networking, connecting, building relationships and knowing where the rest of the 'pack' is, isolation of entertainment being something new to the last century and interaction being our natural state for entertainment activity. It was written in 1999.

There's a lovely little definition of 'technology' as something that doesn't quite work yet. For example, chairs are no longer seen as technology, because they now work very well - they have the right number of legs, centres of gravity etc, so that they no longer 'crash' when we use them. Once things work, they become part of the background and are no longer technology. Very good point, I thought.

The article is called How to stop worrying and learn to love the internet. I need this lesson, I know I do, but I also know that some of you don't like links. I strongly suggest you change this habit and start clicking. The future is in the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.