Friday 24 August 2012

1104m and beer

I've been swimming across the bay and back of my favourite bay (here) and just tried to work out far it is. I'm terrible at estimating distances and although I knew it was quite a bit longer than my usual pool lengths of 25m, I guessed it to be about 75m across. This meant, in my mind, that swimming across and back twice, would be like doing 12 lengths and with my aim of 10 lengths a day, this was good going - especially with the waves and currents making it all a little bit harder.

Today I did three runs across the bay and back and I became curious, so I just checked it out on t'internet. Turns out that the distance (if I manage a properly straight line, which I never do) is just over 184m. Which means today I did more than 1,104m swimming - my straight lines not being at all straight and my efforts including a detour to meet a woman's niece halfway across the bay to retrieve a bag containing a can of beer for aforementioned woman.

Speaking of which, it is most odd to meet someone for the first time when you're both swimming naked. Especially when they want to shake hands. Not being able to quite see her outstretched hand under the waves, I was a little anxious about grasping the wrong thing and shaking hands under water anyway is odd. As it turned out, it was all fine, but saying "Pleased to meet you" while bobbing up and down and trying to retrieve a can of beer, is a most peculiar experience.

Incidentally, I knew the woman already and have been chatting to her, a lovely Slovenian woman, since I was small. It wasn't a completely random meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.