Thursday 16 August 2012

Potential

Someone once said to me "never love a man for his potential" meaning I should love him for what he is now.

This morning I woke up and I suddenly remembered that and I have now decided it is wrong. At the time, it stopped me dating men who were nowhere near their potential and had no desire to get there, and so it saved me from unhappiness.

Now, I think it's important for me to be able to love a person for their potential, because this is what helps people to reach the heights they can only dream of. Expect that someone will get there - not now, not tomorrow, maybe not next year, but eventually. Expect that someone can achieve the best that they can be, and they will - not necessarily how you or they might envisage, but in the way they are meant to.

I think the saying should be "Love a man for who is today and for who he will be tomorrow, but don't expect him to be today who he cannot be until tomorrow."

I am also aware that I am not speaking just of men or people you date, but of all people.

That sits better with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.