Wednesday 12 December 2012

First subzero cycle ride

I was a bit nervous, partly about whether I'd get frostbite and partly about whether I'd slip on ice and fall and break a bone and then freeze to death, immobile, unable to find my phone. All rather extreme, I appreciate.

The anxiety of driving the scary car in such conditions was worse than the anxiety of cycling, so I chose to ride.

I knew the roads would be gritted, but I didn't want roads - I wanted my usual ride through the university grounds and I can be very stubborn. No ice or frost or minus temperatures will stop me having my way!!

It now seems obvious, but even the tiniest path in the university was (miraculously) gritted...obvious, because in this silly country we are terrified of health and safety 'issues' and presumably they didn't want anyone to slip, break a bone and then freeze to death, all because they walked through ungritted university grounds. Makes me wonder how we survived as children...

Anyway, it was only marginally chillier than plus 4*C. One pair of tights might become two next time and my two pairs of gloves were replaced on the way home with one pair and one pair of snowboarding mittens - slightly trickier to change gear, but less risk of frostbite.

After all this, I'm glad I rode and the reason is because my ride made me feel incredibly happy. Sitting in a car, I'd have been warm and cosy and safe, but riding I was free, liberated and able to live in a crisp, invigorating world that bit at my cheeks and made my heart swoop towards the sky. It was stunningly beautiful this morning. I'll post some pics, so you can see what I mean.

What a beautiful world we live in.

Ice spikes

View from the bridge

View behind me

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! And cold! It's funny – I was so shocked to see everyone out and about on decidedly icy and ungritted sidewalks and paths here. At home we all would have stayed indoors for fear of those broken bones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your comment - I must check more often. Rarely do bones break in such weather and if they do, they heal quickly...especially with Croatian chicken soup and a Croatian mother or other elderly relative to care for you!! ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to see your thoughts.