Saturday 15 June 2013

Carmona necropolis

Photos will have to be posted at a later date...

Caverns, caves and ladders to the underground - no H&S here, delightfully un-British - paintings on the walls (2,000 years old), reminds me of my mortality. Smells of thyme, lavender, pine and rosemary, intense heat with a warm wind, the edge taken off in the shade.

Later in a bar across the road, we order tapas, again. Very cheap enormous portions - salad for me, steak and chips for the man. I ask what 'aguacate' is, in one of the salads, to be told it's a tropical fruit. I will later find out it's avocado! My Spanish is again good enough to order my salad without onions. This is very satisfying. The food is good, the waiter gentle. The bar is full of old men and flies, with dated walls in white and terracotta tiles, out of the 80s, only the flat screen TV on the wall above us out of this century.

We also visited a vast cemetery outside Seville, but, aside from the million plus inhabitants and shanty town compactness of some of their 'habitation' versus the space of the weekend houses (mausoleums), it was just hot and not noteworthy. On to Granada!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.