Monday 3 January 2011

A day of joyous blessings

I woke up to my boyfriend saying that the storage heaters weren't hot - this was bad news because it meant no heat until after midnight the next night. It was actually an indicator of far worse - no electricity. A couple of faults in the road, which after hours of sitting in a van waiting for more men to arrive, finally required the electricity people to dig two huge holes in the road to fix whatever had broken - took them about 10 hours to sort it out in the end. Anyway, what could have been disasterous, ended up to be remarkably pleasant, so let me tell you the story of my very mundane but hugely enjoyable day.

We changed our plans around and went food shopping first. By the time we'd got back, we had decided to dig out the camping stove (on which tea and lunch were cooked) and some candles to light our home. Terribly romantic, no? No internet, so guitar 'playing' ensued (much to his delight, I am sure). Even more romantic, I am sure you'd agree.

Thankfully I joined a gym about six days ago, so I decided to go (for the third time since I joined) and to then make use of their showers, which despite being the smallest in the world (no fatties are ever going to fit in these cubicles - motivation to keep going, for sure), were hot and powerful. I sat on a Swiss ball in the ladies room using a spare socket to plug my hairdryer into, to dry my wet hair. A good workout, a wonderful shower and delicious warmth. Hurrah.

The next marvellous thing was that because we had nothing else to do and were cold and hungry, we took time out to be with one another and we went out for dinner. In an attempt to steal a little more heating from someone else we thought that maybe the cinema afterwards would be a fab idea, so I bought us VIP tickets as a treat (after the cold we'd endured).

We'd decided on Yo Sushi! but then I discovered that the half price vouchers I'd intended to use were not yet in date (not until the 10th) so we settled on Pizza Express. If it hadn't been for the VIPness of the tickets, I probably wouldn't have minded, but in the spirit of trying to save money, I couldn't justify it... Anyway, they forgot to take off my cheese (ALLERGY!) and peppers (yuck) and didn't give me extra anchovy as requested. His was totally wrong (Four Seasons instead of Sloppy Giuseppe) and minus cheese (which he loves) plus anchovy (which he really doesn't). They apologised and took them both back, replacing them within 15 minutes and took the price of our pizzas off the bill. Dinner for two for £6.40 plus tip. Very decent waitress, I thought, with bright red hair.

I think that was everything. Oh yeah, I loved the film and he ate too much Pick and Mix. What a wonderful day of joyous blessings, I'm sure you'd agree. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.