Wednesday 21 April 2010

Back to HK

My mind has been wandering of late to home and ash. Not surprising I suppose, but I am determined to re-root here, just for another month. Perhaps telling you about my weekend might help?

After three breakfasts on Saturday, I set off on a hike with some friends. Monkeys were important, so we headed towards Kowloon reservoir on the MTR and decided en route which track to take. Feeling rather unfit of late I said "I'd prefer short and hard, to long and easy". Fool that I am. We opted for Needle Hill, so named, I thought, because maybe it might be hard to find (of 'needle in a haystack' fame). Turns out it was so named because it looks like a needle i.e. pretty much vertical.

It was a good hike though and very good exercise (still feeling it today). I started off by taking a photo of a cute little baby monkey, who, as I was taking the photo, decided to launch himself off the tree at me - he paused momentarily on a lamppost, giving me enough time to jump away. They learn young - I didn't even have my chocolate out at this point! A little later on, over the reservoir, we stopped for a bread, salami and cheese break. A rather larger monkey scared one of the girls as he came charging for the remainder of the cheese. A good strong stick waved towards him frightened him off enough to retrieve most of the packaging for the bin, while he happily sat eating the plastic wrapper once he was done with the cheese. We ended by learning some Filipino clapping songs which had me in fits of giggles. 

Anyway, hike over, Saturday night was Vietnamese dinner and drinks, while listening to an English guy with a trilby sing maybe Irish-style songs, accompanied by a cheeky wink and no less than three guitarists, two bassists and a drummer.

Sunday was sailing - my first ever. Now this was not cocktail and bikini sailing. No, this was not even a boat in my world. More of a trampoline on sticks. Hobie 16, I think, if this means anything to anyone. Wicked fun, but rather scary as I spent the whole time alternating between laughing and squealing while half blinded by sea spray and clinging on for dear life, swapping sides regularly to help prevent capsize whenever we tacked. The most fun was when we surfed a wave. So smooth and clean. It kind of reminded me a little of snowboarding, which I do miss and am determined to go next year. I loved the sailing, but have no concept of how easy it might be to do it, say, when the wind is gentle and the waves are non-existent. All I can say is, I am glad I had a life-jacket on!

Sailing was followed (oh joy of joys!) by Lemon Meringue Pie in Stanley, mixed in with whitebait and nachos. I know it's an odd combination, but it worked well. Happy weekend, only marginally clouded by the absence of my lovely man, who I am still hoping might be able to visit before I leave...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.