Monday 5 April 2010

Gecko and the Oreos

I found out today that Oreos have no butter or milk in them, to my initial joy.

Lying in bed, peacefully asleep, I woke to the sound of clicking and scratching outside in the lounge. At first I think Freddie, then of the girl in The Ring (given the size of the TV here). Then I thought to myself (despite feeling like a small child again): "Don't be ridiculous. You're a grown woman. Use some logic."

I thought perhaps it might have been the doorbell, which I know does not make a bell-like sound, more of a cracking sound, though what someone would be doing this time of night ringing my bell... Maybe my book delivery from England. Who knows how package deliveries work here? I bravely opened my bedroom door and there it was again: the clicking. I peered through the spy-glass of the front door: no-one. I lifted the mat in case they'd put a card under the door and it had got stuck: nothing. I opened the front door (hiding behind it) and looked down for a package: nothing. Then I thought perhaps the next door neighbour dropping something - the walls are like paper. No. His grille was closed.

There it was again: the clicking. Then a rustle. Now I didn't imagine that sound! I switched on the lights and headed to the loo. Might as well go, now I am awake. As I passed through the kitchen, the Oreos packet on the sideboard moved. I looked again and it moved again. A sudden rustle and a clicking sound. That was the sound. Then I noticed. Gecko clearly likes Oreos too and had got herself stuck in the transparent outer wrapper. I carefully removed the individually wrapped trios of Oreo and eased her out of her invisible prison. With a final click, she scurried behind the fridge. Honestly who'd have thought an innocent Oreo could cause so much trouble?

And why is the flat clicking so much this evening...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.