Friday 5 March 2010

Pick flowers, not fights

I did something wonderful today. I said no. I wrote a Dear John letter to my Tai Chi instructor.

I didn't enjoy it. I wasn't having fun. I felt demoralised. I wore a t-shirt to my last class with "Pick flowers, not fights" written across my chest in large silver letters. Perhaps subconsciously I was trying to make a point.

In contrast with his website which states that use of weapons are only for advanced students and despite me being the only student and saying I did not feel comfortable with waving a knife around, he still spent much of each session doing it. I am not from the school of people that thinks a teacher should be an authority that is followed blindly. I am from the school of people that believes teachers should be able to figure out how best to teach their pupils. I will not be bullied into continuing a class by being made to feel like I am not good enough, but will get there in the end. That is not the way to encourage me.

So I said no and asked for my money back. I don't expect to get it (and frankly would rather not because that would mean having to see the infuriating man again) but it felt good to ask for it.

I celebrated by making a yummy soup with delicious mushrooms and 'lettuce plant' in. Yum yum yum. It also has noodles in it, so is liberally being sprayed around the living room every time I shovel in a mouthful with my chopsticks. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.