Monday 29 March 2010

Sea blubber and pig's knuckle

Having spent the day wandering around the Chi Lin Nunnery and the Kowloon Walled City Park, we were ravenous. We headed back to TST and found a random Chinese noodle place. No Chinese tea apparently, which we could well-believe in light of the boiled-water flavour of the insipid looking complimentary green tea on our table. No tea leaves left, it would seem.

I ordered 'milk tea with no milk', instead. As usual. It's not black tea, it's milk tea. With no milk.

I ordered veggies in oyster sauce which were delicious and simple, along with a plate of sea blubber and pig's knuckle. I was seeking excitement and difference and found, instead, surprising ordinariness. It was like something from a cold meat platter in a posh English person's house. Not bad tasting, in fact it was delicious and I took away what I couldn't eat, it just was not what I expected.

Sometimes things are not what I expect. Sometimes this is wonderful. Sometimes it is not. I guess I'm not very good at knowing what will make me happy. The sea blubber and pig's knuckle made me happy. I wonder what else might make me happy. I wonder which of those things I am tempted to turn away from, would actually make me very happy indeed. I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely to see your thoughts.